A mother's life

A day in the life of a mum is often a blur of rushed activity, trying to ensure that everything is done that keeps the family ticking over - are they fed, watered, cleaned, taxied, homeworked, etc to say nothing of the other basic household chores that often take over your life. I have decided that everyone needs the opportunity to tap into their creative or indulgent side and make, bake, read, watch or pursue something that you feel makes you individual. If I can do it..... so can you.

Charm bracelet x 2 - The finished product

Charm bracelet x 2 - The finished product
I'm really pleased with this attempt

Charm bracelet - beginning

Charm bracelet - beginning
Here goes!!!

The Finished Product - Knitted Bangle

The Finished Product - Knitted Bangle
a late night/morning but success at last

Beginning of knitted bracelet

Beginning of knitted bracelet
Here goes!!!

Monday 4 April 2011

Charm bracelet

Well charm bracelet (or more to the point should I say bracelets) have turned out really well.  Sorted out the beads having decided I would go with a green and pink combination and placed them onto the headpins as per instructions.  Using the tools and I must say the tools are necessary, I cut each headpin to an approximate size with the wire ends pinging everywhere in the living room before I perfected a way to stop them shooting all over the place.  Then having twisted and placed jump rings onto the now curled headpins I could then attach them to the bracelet.  But in the process daughter of 12 having seen my endeavour then decided that she needed one too so I suddenly found myself making 2 charm bracelets.  Lucky I bought more beads in the beginning - I think I was slightly over zealous in the shop.  I really think charm bracelets are the way to go, a sort of instant pleasure at the finished product and perhaps, having always had a charm bracelet, a special sterling silver one when I was younger, maybe I have a soft spot for them.  But there is so much you can do and add on to make a charm bracelet individual and unique, the colour scheme and themes are endless and with a little tweeking perhaps I can incorporate a little wire curling and twisting to make those beads look just a little more special.  I think I need to master the various tools first - so one step at a time. 

Homemade ice-cream consumed almost before it had a chance to freeze.  Really is a fail safe recipe for homemade ice-cream though the calorie content must be absolutely horrific.  Still, pure indulgence is often called for and after a hard slog of twisting head pins and attaching jump rings it was definitely called for.  In some ways I might as well have eaten a whole carton of double cream and a tin of condensed milk but somehow it doesn't have the same appeal.  Joey (our resident gecko) has just had a new supply of crickets brought into the house.  I nearly forgot I had them in the car when I went to fetch 12 year old from her theatre club and tossed handbag onto the backseat where crickets in tub were residing.  Luckily chaos didn't reign as tub remained intact even though I think both the crickets and myself got a shock from the action.  Phew!!  The thought of 50 or more loose crickets hopping around my little green mobile doesn't appeal somehow, especially as dusk was falling at the time and trying to spot them would have been more than challenging.

Next jewellery challenge is to attempt something with what I refer to as a knitting nancy.  I have seen a article showing how you can incorporate the beads while knitting using this mechanism so sounds like fun and relatively easy to manage.  New dinner attempt is going to be texan cornbread.  A recipe I have seen using mince beef, cornmeal and sweetcorn..... who knows what it will turn out like but the children are permanently requesting something new.  Maybe this is the way to make them stop.

More later once I have my knitting nancy up and running.  I think I will do a dummy run with that old favourite (rather disgustingly coloured) ball of wool which I used in my previous knitting attempt.  I must not, however, forget that I have a book to read for the up and coming book club.  Time must not be allowed to run away with me!!
Love jayjay

No comments:

Post a Comment